Confused and frustrated when trying to buy a new mascara?
I felt devastated when I realised that my main mascara I have used for many years has been discontinued and I was forced to shop for a new one. I felt intimidated by all the buzz words, choices and stress confusion as it is not always possible to try testers. Generally, there are only 4 points that need to be considered when making your purchase.
- What type of brush do you prefer i.e full, pointed, narrow, curled etc?
- Do you have sensitive eyes?
- Do you need a waterproof mascara?
- What type of look are you trying to achieve i.e natural, dramatic party eyelashes, doe or doll eyes?
Mascara Product Review Results
We narrowed our mascara product review down to 3 major retailers who are part of our affiliate programme (Boots, Debenhams & John Lewis) and their top selling products. It was hard selecting only 10 waterproof mascaras suitable for the party season as there are hundreds of products to think about. Our final decision was based on the mascara which gave the most comfortable application and the least clumping effects. The UK’s top selling mascara “Benefit They’re Real” was awarded the title of our ‘Top Product’ because it was loved by all product testers regardless of their age (14 – 60 years). The other mascaras were all excellent but seemed to be split into age categories. For example, Lancome was preferred by our older testers, whilst the younger preferred Nars. All the prices recorded on our product reviews were correct at the time but may vary due to seasonal promotions or price matching.
- Benefit They’re Real – 10/10 Loved by all product testers regardless of their age. Buy from Boots, Debenhams and John Lewis for £17.55. After Black Friday and any other promotions the prices will revert to £19.50 after sales.
- Lancôme Hypnôse Star Mascara – 9/10 A very close second. This is a lovely mascara and fantastic for party eyes. Buy from Boots, Debenhams and John Lewis for £20.25, reverting to £22.50 after sales
- Nars Audacious Mascara- 8/10 Generally better for the day but if you add lots of coats then it can look quite dramatic for a party. I have never tried NARS products before but I am now hooked. Buy from John Lewis for £18.90
- Maybelline Colossal Mascara – 6/10 With so many products we became confused (26 mascaras in the range). However, overall they were fantastic for their price and generally performed very well. Buy various types of Colossal Mascara from Boots priced £6.99 – £7.99.
- Bobbi Brown Extreme Party -5/10 A nice mascara but did not to live up to its name implying dramatic party eyes. That said we simply love all other products by Bobbi Brown. Buy from Debenhams for £18.00 and John Lewis for £17.00, reverting to £20.00 after sales
- Chanel Sublime de Chanel Mascara Waterproof – 4/10 It is a natural look and so best suited to the daytime rather than the evening. Our younger testers loved the packaging as it is so elegant. Buy from Boots for £25.00, Debenhams £22.50 (reverting to £25.00 after the sales) and John Lewis for £20.70
- Makeup For Ever Aqua Smokey Extravagant- The results were average which was a shame as it is quite expensive. Moreover, we expected more as it is being endorsed by celebrities. Buy from Debenhams priced £16.20 reverting to £18.00 after sales.
- No 7 Extreme Length Mascara – 4/10 Although easy to build intensity we found that the lashes went very hard and clumpy. It was not waterproof enough for swimming. Buy from Boots priced £12.50.
- Dior Blackout Mascara 4/10. We expected more because of the brand and the price. Buy from Boots, Debenhams and John Lewis priced £22.50 reverting to £25.00 after sales.
- Blinc -3/10. This is a completely new concept as blinc invented a technology breakthrough in mascara that allows for the easy application of water-resistant “tubes” around your lashes unlike conventional mascaras. Buy from Boots priced £19.35, reverting to £21.50 after sales.